Jackson Place Sitting Room

This room was once part of one of two c.1860 townhouses on Jackson Place that were added to Blair House in 1969–1970. Originally used as a parlor, today it and the accompanying Jackson Place Dining Room serve as quiet settings for hospitality service and small informal gatherings.

View the room in more detail

Jackson Place Sitting Room
  • Chinese-Style Cabinet, 20th century

    Chinese-Style Cabinet, 20th century

    Decorated with intricately carved garden scenes painted in pastel colors with gilt accents, this massive ebony cabinet has a molded black marble top and brass lion masks at its chamfered front corners. It was donated to Blair House between the Nixon and Reagan administrations.

  • Equestrian Statuette of Andrew Jackson c.1890

    Equestrian Statuette of Andrew Jackson c.1890

    Cast by one of the successor companies to Cornelius & Baker, this bronze-painted white metal sculptural reduction of Clark Mills’Andrew Jackson on Horseback—America’s first equestrian monument, erected in Lafayette Square across from the White House in 1853 — is a gift of former Chief of Protocol Selwa “Lucky” Roosevelt through the Blair House Restoration Fund. It sits on a custom plinth made of cherry wood from trees on Jackson’s estate, The Hermitage, donated by the Hermitage Museum in 2009.

  • Six-Light Gasolier, 1880

    Six-Light Gasolier, 1880

    This American gasolier (now electrified) has most of its original cut glass parts: arms, bead-and-reel jeweled chains, and bobèche with triangular, notched spear-point prisms. The frosted, etched glass globes are reproductions.

  • American Empire Card Table, 1810–1830

    American Empire Card Table, 1810–1830

    This mahogany card table is the centerpiece of the Jackson Place Sitting Room. Its elegant brass box casters of foliate, scallop shell, and lion paw design with extending scroll sides are highly unusual. The settee and chairs in the background are modern copies of Georgetown cabinetmaker William King, Jr.'s 1818 suite made for the White House East Room.

  • Robert Jackson Wall Mural, 1988

    Robert Jackson Wall Mural, 1988

    This oil-on-canvas scenic mural was installed on these walls and those of the adjacent Jackson Place Dining Room as part of the 1980s renovations. Created by Germantown, New York, decorative artist Robert Jackson, its fanciful depiction of Washington, D.C., landmarks—including Blair House—along the Potomac River recalls early 19th century French “Monuments de Paris” wallpaper by Zuber.